Skip to main content

Dear Emilie: A Young Woman's Journal

Dear Emilie,

I've landed to hear the most shocking news. I've become a woman now. No, Emilie, I know what you're thinking, but it's not that I didn't know I was a girl, but I'm a woman now. I can't believe it either! Grandma said it shouldn't come this early, but it has, at 10. Savita Aunty says that I can't talk to boys now, but she's so silly she doesn't know that talking doesn't make a difference. I pity these girls in India who don't know anything about these things.. sigh.. OK, got to go now, dad's coming over from Malaysia, have to find out why and what they plan on doing.

Love,

Your New Woman.


**************************

Dearest Emilie, my only friend in the world!!! You are not going to believe what they want to do to me.. they want to print out cards for me and have a PUBERTY CEREMONY!! I was so happy to come back to India and get it, and now it turns out this was the worst thing ever, can you imagine having to sit there in front of everyone and them coming up to congratulate me? CAN YOUUUUU??????? EMilie, do something to help. Please. Please. Please. Please.. (how many times do I have to say it before you perform the magical things that journals can do?)

**************************

Emilie,

I'm undergoing mental, physical torture. I'm under house arrest, something about what grandma saying that my spirit being weak right now. She says that I'm vulnerable to black magic spirits. There are these things that she keeps saying. Like how there were women in her Temple Town who were not careful and left the house mid way and had to have neem leaves whacked all around before they became normal. I've drawn up a brief list of things I'm not allowed to do. As follows:

1. Can't touch plants (evil spirits live in them, even if it's the potted plants in the garden)

2. The house is defined as the main door frame, upstairs door frame and the back door frame. Yes, I'm not allowed to see Ashwin playing cricket anymore (heartbroken sniff sniff)

3. Can't eat meat, evil spirits linger in meat and they make my impure state worse.

4. Can't enter the pooja room, because I'm impure (rolling eyes as I write this)

5. Can't touch people. Can't touch the sofa set.. yes, I've been restricted to one corner of the hall, with a mat, a pillow and a blanket. I've been told I have to wash it myself. IT's just unfair, how come no one else has to go through this bullshit, but ME. Not fair!!!!!!! Ancient customs belong in Ancient land!

*************************

Em,

Dad got me a pile of second hand Nancy Drew books. I'm almost in heavan.. except for the being tied up like a badly treated dog bit! Raj came to ask me what was wrong with me, I told him, for my brother he was stupid. He then grabbed the remote from my hand (he touched me!) and switched the tv channel. So I told on him to grandma, and he had to take a shower... ha ha ha it's so funny. Maybe this thing is not so bad afterall..

3 days to freedom.

P.S. Boys are so stupid!
*************************

Emilie,

I've been wondering about what every one would do if I went to the Pooja room and told them, I had been cleansed. They have 3 options.. maybe a fourth one

a. Shout at me
b. Believe me
c. Disown me
d. Forget these dumb tradition things and we all be happy...

I wish. 2 more days Em, and I'm out of here. Why I had to come now and waste Vacation time not being able to do anything is beyond me, but I guess God has a way of testing us..

***********************

Imli,

AS they would call you here.. ha ha ha ha...don't be angry. I'm just entertaining myself. Tomorrow I am freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee..... I can move, talk, dance do what ever it is I want. But only after a Puja..cleansing Puja and then I have my oh so embarassing Ceremony... but I've picked out the card design. It's got a green border and is cream colour and has flowers indented. Not bad indeed, I guess you can't be too unlucky in life

**********************

Em,

Ashwin came for my ceremony. He looked soooo nice, and he was shy as well. I don't think I mind this anymore. I got a tonne of presents, like a tonne and mum said I could keep everything I got but the jewellery. I don't know Em.. I love grandma.. do you think I felt so bad because of the spirits in me..? :) Either ways back home soon, can't wait to tell the girls what happened.. they're going to be sooo embarassed for me :)

Love love love loads,

Now a woman..

Comments

loved the post.. every girl remembers the experience and its almost always frought with emotions.. and the concept opf putting it through a journal was great.. good luck
Abhyudaya said…
Loved every bit of it, and yes, boys are stupid because we are liked better that way. :-)
Saro said…
Just another wake up call: AWw thank you! I agree, these are, on hindsight special memories that you will never forget :)

Ab: thank you! i agree with ur comment. he he he.

Popular posts from this blog

Celebrations

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 16 ; the sixteenth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton . It was a hard ground that felt like sand paper. When he started his journey, it was the soles of his feet that were in contact with the ground, but now as he pulled himself closer to the station, it was his whole body. His elbows were scraped, bloody and fresh scab peeled bled out to leave a trail of red on the wicked hot dusty ground of pain and suffering. All around him slow moving bodies crawled towards the direction of hope, all along leaving patterns of blood, sweat, skin and pus. These bodies had seen civil wars, droughts, genocide and lived to tell a tale of a people who now belonged to a nation listed as one of the poorest countries in the world. This is now, but before the list, was a struggle of massive proportions, under reported and quietly hidden

Escape

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 10 ; the tenth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton . The Temple Widow A narrow dirt path, generously peppered with tiny pebbles, tiny miniatures of their gargantuan ancestors, leads to a bridge. It hangs, rickety and old. Old but not well used, old like abandoned and not frequently used. The bridge hangs low over a small stream that slowly gurgles past, happy unlike those that visit the place. The bridge leads to a temple. It is not very big, only perhaps the size of a small hut and at the most the size of an average temple hall. The temple has no deity; the temple has no one corner that doesn’t look like the other. It is clean, well swept, and empty. It has no furniture, and excepting a series of well spaced out windows, the walls remains uninterrupted. She stumbles in, the lady. She is not very tal

Time Travel

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 8 ; the eighth edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton . I haven't got the memory of a vedic tantric. Neither do I ever claim to remember all. All I know is what I know, question my memory if you want to. I don't ask you to remember, I don't ask you to believe. In fact, I'm not asking you for anything at all. It is your choice to be here, to read this. So no, I don't owe you a favor. I happened to chance upon a watch, on one of my travels. Turning the dials of such a watch, could transport you to the past, to the future, to any time. But time, my friend, is not how you think it is. It is not a straight line, and you cannot just by chance hop into the world of dinosaurs and wooden weapons. It is a series of transparencies, like films of clean sheets of paper laid on top of each other. You look from above