10 January 2012

Love, Adventure & Miracle


Like an artist, he painted soft kisses all over my face and promised he will wait. Wait for me till I came back, and all I had to do, while I was gone, is assure him that he would be a part of my life. He urged, with his eyes and with his fingers curled around my palm, that this was important else we may not still know eachother when I returned. I nodded, I promised and boarded my plane. I dug into my pockets to get out my I phone 4, and looked through our pictures the whole journey. I was sorry I was leaving him, but something told me that this would be good for us.


As the plane landed, the Captain announced temperatures of 30c, and it was only 11 in the morning! I sleep walked over to baggage collection and checked out of the airport. Great. Taxi time. Took a deep breath, and with ease I had not anticipated secured a fair price to get to my hotel only to find, that fixed prices before the journey meant nothing after the journey. Not wanting to haggle (and quietly giving up), I collapsed onto my large king size bed the minute I saw it. Then it hit me, quiet silence. Silence I had not heard since the time I'd met him. And I remembered, what I'd agreed to. Quickly the bags were unpacked, the concierge sought and I was on my way to explore the city. Nestled between two bays, the largely Christian town housed many cathedrals- my interests took me off the beaten path to Rainforest park. Beautifully big trees, branches spread like giant umbrellas. Check. Click Click with my Sony Cyershot DSC WX7. It was here I felt curious energy, like a bream of sunlight warm and soothing. Yet, I was alone.


I rushed back to the hotel, at 8 in the evening. He said he'd call the hotel till I got myself a local sim card for my phone. I couldn't wait to share the pictures, my flight details, the day and everything else with him. I wouldn't share the silence, I decided. No need to state the obvious. I waited till eleven for his phone call, before the exhaustion finally got to me. When I woke up late, for the first day of work, I decided I'd make a call from work. The day was over before I could blink, and too tired to be cheap, I finally called him myself. Voice mail. Called after an hour. Voice mail. Called Gnanesh, his friend. Accident? On the way back from the airport? Induced Coma? My heart fell, my legs gave way and I felt nothing.

And I didn't for a long time, not that first year. I opted to stay at work, and finish the project. Someone needed to make enough money, till he woke up. I knew he would. I did not see him. I could not touch him. I could not feel him but I could hear him. I send pictures across to the hospital where Janine, his nurse would be his eyes.

The second year, he woke up. I didn't feel anything. He underwent physiotherapy and I was back home, but still working. I worked hard, he worked hard on recovering. Between our schedules, I can't say we spent much time together. Until three months into his therapy, he asked me about Rainforest Park. He talked about the big trees, wide leaves right in the middle of the city.

Curiously enough, he talked about being a beam of light, of being able to feel me and told me things that I had never told him about the park. Like having tripped on a pebble, because I'd opted to wear heels. Or the broken pipe that had wet the ground so much, the area smelt like mulch and humid clothes.

And then he teared up, and walked over to me and put his head on my lap. And I held him tight. My body lightened, he was back & so was I.

This entry is a part of BlogAdda contests in association with Zapstore.com

No comments: